The minutes of the last Board meeting are posted at this website in a password-protected file. Any member of the Association in good standing can request the sign-in information by writing to email@example.com. Archived minutes are available for review by writing to the same email address and requesting a time to meet with the Secretary.
Minutes of Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
Shadow Woods Subdivision Association September 21, 2017
The meeting was called to order at 7:39pm by President Terry Lanker, at the home of Beth Tilove. Board members present were Terry Lanker, Beth Tilove, Bruce Brown, and Chelsea Scally. Hilary Kotik participated by phone. The first order of business was to confirm resident Steve Yuhasz to serve the remainder of Jack Durham’s term. Motion made by Terry Lanker, second by Bruce Brown, that Steve Yuhasz be installed in a Board position, for a term ending in December, 2018. Motion passed. Hilary left the meeting but remained available by phone as needed.
Minutes from the August 10, 2017 were read and edited. Minutes were approved as amended.
Review of Annual Report: The Annual Report was read and edited. The budget was reviewed line by line, with various changes based on this year and expectations about the coming year. In lieu of putting $12,000 into savings this year, the Infrastructure Maintenance/Repair budget was increased to $15,000. This is to fund the work needed on the storm water system that the Association is responsible for. The Treasurer’s Committee budget was kept at $5,000 to accommodate the possibility of assigning more tasks to our management company, ACM. The decision was made to have liens handled as suggested by ACM. Moved by Terry Lanker, second by Steve Yuhasz, that when a resident is delinquent for two years, ACM is to direct their attorney to initiate lien proceedings against the homeowner on SWSA’s behalf. Motion carried. Beth will ask Hilary to get our $1000 retainer refunded from Carthew Law Firm. Moved by Beth Tilove, second by Chelsea Scally, to set the 2018 dues at $205.00. Motion passed on a 5 to 1 vote. On the ballot, Terry Lanker is running for a one year term, to finish bringing Board terms into compliance with our ByLaws. We do not have a nominee for the remaining Board opening. Beth will continue to solicit for a volunteer through sub emails.
Secretary’s Report: Beth Tilove reported that the Planning Commission postponed a decision about the development at the corner of Tienken and Adams. She and Steve Yuhasz both spoke at the meeting and will be notified by the City the next time the proposal is reviewed. She will make sure the Board is informed.
Communication Committee: a resident alerted Beth that our mailing address was not posted on our website. She has added it.
Social Committee: The summer BBQ was a success, with over 100 people attending. Chelsea managed to finish the year slightly under budget. She plans to have an ice cream truck again next year. Beth informed her that SWSA owns some long folding tables, currently being stored at Scott Dixon’s. She will send Chelsea Scott’s contact information. Some ideas presented for next year’s BBQ: adjust the hours so that the party is closer to a meal time; shorten the length of the party; get 2 bounce houses, or somehow separate older children from younger. Chelsea announced that the Halloween Parade & Party will be on Saturday, October 28th. Details to follow. Beth will publicize the “Teal Pumpkin” project through sub emails.
Safety & Security: Doug Thedford was not present, but Beth Tilove reported that he has confirmed that the walkway construction is slated to start on September 25. She spoke to Barb Smith (Permits) at the City and let her know that the easement for the work has been filed with Oakland County.
Neighborhood Committee: We do not have a replacement for Bruce as yet. He generously offered to continue as Neighborhood Chair for a month or so if necessary. He reported that the City Compliance Division is working on the above-ground drainage pipe at 2550 Powderhorn.
Maintenance Committee: Steve Yuhasz will need the records for the Maintenance Committee. Jeff Ouimet has a box to give him and it was suggested that he contact Al Wolfe for more information. He will attempt to find a tree removal company willing to dump free woods chips for use along the Nature Trail.
Capital Improvements: The request from a resident to plant 2 trees in the North Commons area was discussed. It was decided that the Board needs an approval process in place for use in all future such requests. The process would require the applicant to comply with the following:
(1) Submit the type of tree to be planted, using the recommendations of the City of Rochester Hills’ Forestry Department
(2) Provide a plan showing the location of the proposed planting - drawing or aerial view with location is acceptable
(3) Submit the contractor’s Certificate of Liability Insurance - must be submitted before any work begins
(4) Agree to provide watering for 2 years after planting
After these 4 items are submitted, the Board will vote on whether to approve the planting. Criteria used by the Board will include a determination if the plant is hardy and well-suited to the site; that the placement of the tree will enhance the commons area for all; that the Association will bear no liability for injury during planting; and that the tree will be adequately maintained for 2 years, giving it the best chance of survival.
Moved by Beth Tilove, second by Jeff Ouimet, that the Board accept the above process as its standard operating procedure. Motion carried.
Jeff hired AWD to do to the cutting and trimming he outlined under Maintenance at the last meeting. He hired Davey Tree to fertilize the trees on Tienken and at Keystone Park. He purchased two Canadian Hemlocks to add to the plantings at Keystone. He plans to dig the holes himself.
Capital Improvements – Drains Committee: Al Wolfe submitted a report prior to the meeting and it is attached. Terry Lanker reported that Al is going to contract for jetting on Pipe 1 (Telluride & Snowmass) before calling for more invasive steps. The discussion of contracting Parjana for our retention basins was postponed due to the late hour.
New Business: postponed due to the late hour
Next meeting date: Thursday, October 19th, at Terry Lanker’s, for stuffing envelopes